You’re just about keeping your business going in these lean times. You’re getting some business in – from well-established customers and clients maybe – but no growth. Everyone you speak to seems to say the same thing: ‘Things are very tight… and we’re just fire-fighting Continue reading →
In Middle-earth on the web currently, where marvellous teachers with names like Guido and Korval advise on formatting. No wonder games-developers-turned-fantasy-writers dominate online book sales. They are the only folk who really know what’s going on.
Now if you earn your living from giving advice in one form or another, you’ll know this is a demanding activity. Here are some contradictions Continue reading →
You were enjoying it and it was absorbing you. Yes, there were challenges, and yes, it needed energy – you maybe had a lot to learn. Then bang! the economic downturn. Your developing, growing and exploring stopped. To be replaced by curbing, policing and saying no.
1. We can disagree with them
2. They create an illusion of order in the universe
3. Our wannabe instincts get motivated by them…
4. Or they confirm our prejudices i.e. the Rich (or Greedy) list, the Top Intellectuals ( or Pretentious) list, the Happiness Creators ( or Clearly Deluded) list
5. They reaffirm that Alfred Alder, champion of the inferiority complex has been massively overlooked
6. And that his view that many of us are status obsessed is correct
7. Lists show us feel we can control something….anything!
8. And they make us feel significant: we have stuff to order.
9. 8.5 bloggers out of 10 write list posts constantly and 7.3 out of 10 web surfers read ‘em. List posts provide convergent content in a divergent online context: a path in the forest.
10. Sadly, they can indicate where you’ve gone wrong in life. On the Rich, Intellectual and Happiness Creators lists published last Sunday there is not a single psychologist. Oh dear, stuffed. Time to start the 5 Possible Reinventions list….
Helping a friend with a blog idea at the moment, we are deep in critical thinking. We analyze the blog’s positioning: who will it speak to, why would the content be of interest to them and how to negotiate personal and professional roles through the blog. We attempt to be constantly discerning Continue reading →